Saturday 27 August 2016

Atari 2600 toolchain

This one should be the easiest to set up. I'll just use the same tools I used in 2002 when I last did Atari 2600 stuff.

It took a little longer to find the new versions and decide how to integrate them (only about an hour, so off to a good start).

When I last did some Atari 2600 development back in 2002 I had a Cuttle Cart and a real Atari 2600 to test with. Unfortunately I got rid of all my retro hardware a little while back (well except the Cuttle Cart - much harder to replace that :)).

Assembler: dasm
emulator: z26

z26 is an excellent emulator with an incredibly useful tracing feature.
This can create a log of all instructions executed with some other useful things like the frame number, scanline number, cpu cycle, tia clock, object positions (P0, P1, M0, M1, BL), cpu flags, registers (A, X, Y, SP), the program counter and a disassembled listing of the instruction.

Timing is critical when producing an Atari 2600 screen, this level of logging detail can be an enormous timesaver when juggling those instructions for mid-scanline graphic register changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment